While your contractor will lead the construction process, you will have the following responsibilities:
- Keep in touch with your contractor and set up a schedule for checking in.
- Regularly walk through the construction area to monitor the quality of the work and make sure the work is progressing the way you expect.
- Be prepared to make decisions about the details—light fixtures, appliances, and other materials—in a timely manner so your contractor can stay on schedule.
- Follow the contract you agreed to, including any changes as described specifically in a change order form.
- Although your contractor will usually arrange the required county or utility inspections, it is your responsibility as the property owner to make sure that the inspections are conducted as required.