How do I find an architect or designer?

Most homeowners choose to work with some type of design professional to plan their ADU and help throughout the process. Bringing on a professional early in the process is often key to getting your ADU approved quickly, managed efficiently, and built cost-effectively. Relevant experience and fit will be critical.

There are a variety of types of designer, and they may be an architect, builder, “designer,” design/build, or a modular/prefab company. If you’re hiring a local individual or team, they’ll likely start the process by visiting your home and talking to you about your ideas and goals. If it seems like a good match, they will prepare a proposal detailing their services and fee. Professionals typically charge for an initial consultation or proposal.

Note that if you’re not using a licensed architect to design your ADU, your plans may need to be stamped by a licensed engineer. Check with your staff early on.

See the Exercises for a list of questions to ask a potential architect or designer, the Glossary to be clear on terms, and your County Guidebook for more details.

Get all your questions answered.

Welcome to Mother Lode ADU

More coming soon!

Some of our resources are still in progress – check back frequently to see new features!

Skip to content